NFL Offseason grades
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Key re-signings: WR Chris Godwin, C Ryan Jensen, CB Carlton Davis, G Aaron Stinnie, WR Breshad Perriman, RB Leonard Fournette
- Key additions: G Shaq Mason, WR Russell Gage, S Logan Ryan
- Key losses: S Jordan Whitehead, G Alex Cappa, G Ali Marpet, TE O.J. Howard, EDGE Jason Pierre-Paul, DT Ndamukong Suh, CB Richard Sherman, RB Ronald Jones, RB Giovani Bernard, RB Le’Veon Bell
The Bucs retained Tom Brady after his brief retirement. And found a way to keep their key pieces intact (minus Rob Gronkowski for now) to remain formidable Super Bowl contenders. They are NFC favorites with the Rams.
2. Miami Dolphins
- Key re-signings: EDGE Emmanuel Ogbah, TE Mike Gesicki, WR Preston Williams, LB Duke Riley, LB Elandon Roberts, LB Brenann Scarlett, TE Durham Smythe
- Key additions: WR Tyreek Hill, OT Terron Armstead, RB Chase Edmonds, LG Connor Williams, WR Cedrick Wilson, RB Raheem Mostert, QB Teddy Bridgewater, WR Trent Sherfield, CB Keion Crossen
- Key losses: QB Jacoby Brissett, WR Mack Hollins WR Will Fuller, RB Phillip Lindsay
Keeping Ogbah and Gesicki was a great start, and then they loaded up Mike McDaniel with several key versatile pieces and a better backup to Tua Tagovailoa in Bridgewater. Signing Armstead and trading for Hill turned their offseason into an A.
3. Buffalo Bills
- Key re-signings: DE Shaq Lawson, WR Isaiah McKenzie, WR Jake Kumerow, CB Siran Neal
- Key additions: EDGE Von Miller, G Rodger Saffold, TE O.J. Howard, RB Duke Johnson Jr., WR Jamison Crowder, DT Tim Settle, DE Jordan Phillps, DT DaQuan Jones
- Key losses: QB Mitchell Trubisky, DT Harrison Phillips, DT Star Lotulelei, CB Levi Wallace, C Jon Feliciano, WR Emmanuel Sanders, WR Cole Beasley, OT Daryl Williams
Miller was a surprise coup for this strong AFC championship contender. The Bills reloaded their defensive line rotation and worked patiently to find depth elsewhere. Von Miller’s contract is still a little confusing. But for this year, the Bills have what the doctor ordered.
4. Los Angeles Chargers
- Key re-signings: WR Mike Williams, K Dustin Hopkins, QB Chase Daniel, DT Christian Covington
- Key additions: CB J.C. Jackson, EDGE Khalil Mack, DT Sebastian Joseph-Day, DT Austin Johnson, TE Gerald Everett
- Key losses: EDGE Uchenna Nwosu, DT Linval Joseph, CB Chris Harris Jr., TE Jared Cook, OT Bryan Bulaga, LB Kyzir White, C/G Scott Quessenberry
The Chargers are another AFC contender that spent its resources well to take advantage of Justin Herbert’s rookie contract. The AFC West is loaded. Jackson and Mack can be an incredible new 1-2 punch for the Charger’s defense.
5. Cleveland Browns
- Key re-signings: TE David Njoku, LB Anthony Walker
- Key additions: QB Deshaun Watson WR Amari Cooper, EDGE Chase Winovich, WR Jakeem Grant, QB Jacoby Brissett, DT Taven Bryan
- Key losses: WR Jarvis Landry, TE Austin Hooper, WR Rashard Higgins, LB Mack Wilson, K Chase McLaughlin, CB M.J. Stewart
If Watson is suspended, the trade goes downs to a B+. But either way, the Browns upgraded from Baker Mayfield for the long run. The Browns are in the conversation for AFC title contention. Cooper is a solid No. 1 for their new franchise QB, too.