- Ranking the top college football stadiums is no easy feat, but the Horseshoe in Columbus stands out as a remarkable architectural gem. The Ohio State Buckeyes consistently draw massive crowds to Ohio Stadium, the third-largest college football venue in the United States. Even with a seating capacity of 103,000, the demand to witness the Buckeyes in action exceeds expectations. The relentless fans, the perpetual buzz, and the consistently exceptional program make Ohio Stadium a strong contender for the title of the best college football stadium, securing its place at the top of our list.Photo Cred: Ohio State
2. While an argument can be made for Beaver Stadium as the ultimate venue, the current state of Penn State football tempers the claim. James Franklin’s contributions have revitalized the program, turning Beaver Stadium into a sea of blue and white on game days. Despite not being among the nation’s top teams, the Nittany Lions’ home crowd elevates Beaver Stadium to one of the best college football stadiums in 2023.
Photo Cred: SI
3. In considering the best stadiums, we weigh the quality of the teams heavily. The team’s performance significantly impacts the atmosphere, with historic stadiums coming alive during pivotal games. A notable example is Michigan Stadium, which witnessed a resurgence in 2021 as Michigan became the Big Ten champions and played in the College Football Playoff semifinals. With Jim Harbaugh committed for the long term, Michigan Stadium promises an electric environment for years to come.
Photo Cred: Michigan
4. Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, although a formidable venue, takes a slight dip in our rankings due to the program’s need to prove itself under Brian Kelly. However, when Alabama visits them this year, the intensity and atmosphere will undeniably make it one of the best stadiums in college football.
Photo Cred: LSU
5. Affectionately known as “The Swamp,” the Florida Gators’ home turf in Gainesville is a daunting destination for any opposing team. Florida’s storied program, coupled with the transformative tenure of Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow, elevated the Gators to new heights. Under the guidance of Dan Mullen, Florida enters an exciting new era, solidifying “The Swamp” as a perennial contender for the title of one of the best college football stadiums.
Photo Cred: Florida